Okay, here's a twist on coffee that I stumbled upon quite accidentally - basil. I thought I was adding a sprig of mint, but was adding a basil leaf to my hot cup of joe. Not too bad. I was later making my Coconut Faux-latte when I remembered the basil. It turns out to be a great combination.
Besides the great flavor combination of coconut and coffee, there are several reasons that adding coconut milk to your coffee is a great idea:
- Coconut milk contains medium chain triglycerides to speed up your metabolism and help you lose weight.
- Coconut contains antibacterial and antifungal compounds that assist your immune system
- Coconut milk contains enough fat to slow the absorption of caffeine for a more even boost of energy without causing the jitters.
Note: A true latte is made with espresso, but for simplicity I use a strong brew of coffee.
Make a 6 cup pot of coffee as you normally would with the following exceptions:
- Add two-three fresh basil leaves to the filter basket along with the coffee grounds.
- Make the coffee a little stronger than you normally brew it.
- In the carafe to receive the hot coffee, add 1 cup of coconut milk and 6 tablespoons of honey.
If you are dairy-free you may drink the brew as it is for a great tasting cup of coffee but I prefer to continue as directed below for a creamier and more frothy latte experience.
Combine the brewed coffee concoction and 1/2 cup of half & half into a blender.
Blend until frothy and smooth.
Serve hot in your favorite mug or over ice.
Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Healthy Food Matters